Intensive English Program (IEP)
Dates: June 12 – September 22, 2017
Duration: 180 hours (15 weeks)
Costs: 45,000 baht
Location: Mae Khao Campus (Behind Big C-Extra), 2nd Floor of the Payap University Library (Map)
|IEP Level 0||Monday to Thursday, 1.30 – 4.30 pm||[OOPT 0-20: A1]|
|IEP Level 1||Monday to Thursday, 9.00 – 12.00 am||[OOPT 21-39: A2]|
|IEP Level 2||Monday to Thursday, 9.00 – 12.00 am||[OOPT 40-59: B1]|
|IEP Level 3||Monday to Thursday, 9.00 – 12.00 am||[OOPT 60-99: B2/C1]|
Students are tested and placed in a class based on their English ability. They are tested with the Oxford Online Placement Test (OOPT) which gives a Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) score and a number score between 0 and 120.
The Intensive English Program (IEP) at Payap University is designed to improve English language abilities from beginner up to advanced levels using one of two study plans.
All students will have their English ability tested prior to starting any level.
Students with low English abilities must complete the Beginner English Program prior to starting either Study Plan 1 or Study Plan 2.
- Study Plan 1 is a general English course which focuses on training from pre-intermediate to advanced levels without an academic focus.
- Study Plan 2 is an English for Academic Purposes (EAP) course that offers academic English training from pre-intermediate to advanced levels. EAP courses are designed to improve a student’s academic English ability to the point of being able to to study in an international bachelor’s or master’s degree program anywhere in the world 100% in English.
For both study plans, the Oxford Online Placement Test (OOPT) helps place students at the proper study level. The OOPT gives Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) as well as numbered results to better place students at the right levels. Each level will use textbooks CEFR rated for that particular level.
General English teachers will have bachelor’s degrees while EAP teachers will have master’s degrees.
The chart below displays the different IEP Levels and associated CEFR and OOPT scores.
|General English||English for Academic Purposes (EAP)|
|IEP Level||Level 0||Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 2||Level 3|
|Oxford University Press
text books used at each level
|Ah-4||AH-5||EAP B1 and EAP B1+||EAP B2 and EAP C1|
|AH=American Headway||EAP=English for Academic Purposes|
|Read more about the CEFR and OOPT here!|
Duration of the course and its price
Each level consists of 180 guided learning hours and cost 45,000 baht. This price includes all books and tests! Students who think they can qualify to study for a bachelor’s or master’s degree at Payap University’s International College (IC) can elect to pay for half a semester rather than a full semester.
- June 12 – September 22, 2017
- For late 2017 – 2018 schedule please contact LEC via the contact page.
IEP Extra Benefits
- Students can stay in the dormitory (CLICK HERE!!!)
- Students get a Payap University wi-fi account
- Student textbooks come with extra online features
- A visa is available for this course if needed. Click here for details.